Dental implants have a lot of advantages. Some of these are:
- First and foremost, it is important to recognize that dental implants help in restoring the original smile, manner of eating and way of talking to the person. With dentures, this is not the case. With these, it is not possible to have the original smile et al. back. There are some facial structure changes which happen which does not happen with dental implants.
- Dental implants are more permanent. Once the titanium screw is drilled into the jawbone, it is fixed in its place. The jawbone grows around the screw naturally and within three to four months, the titanium implant becomes fixed in its place. This is not so with dentures. These need to be taken out each night and placed in a jar of cleansing liquid to which a cleansing tablet has been added.
- Dental implants also can last the entire lifetime of a person, provided they are cared for properly. This is the main advantage of having dental implants. Dentures need to be replaced after every five to seven years.
- There is no question of the dental implants becoming loose or ill-fitting with time. Since they are permanently embedded in the jawbone, they do not move. Hence, they cannot become loose. Dentures may become loose or ill-fitting with time, and hence, they need to be replaced.
- Dental implants can be brushed and flossed in the same manner as one can do with our own set of teeth. Dental implants are so much like actual teeth of a person that one can carry on with dentition as we do with our teeth. This does not happen with dentures. Dentures, as mentioned above, need to be removed each night. They are brushed with the cleansing liquid each night. Thus, a person may not feel ‘clean’ with dentures since they are not the ‘real’ teeth of the person so to say and are also removed time and again. The patient does not get this feeling with dental implants.
- Dental implants, once in place, do not have the danger of slipping out. This is the danger in case of dentures. If a person laughs too loudly, the dentures may slip out of the mouth. This will never happen in case of dental implants. Also, if a person bites into a food item which is very hard or sticky, the dentures may just snap. This is not so much the case with dental implants which are more sturdy in their place.
- One can get a dental implant placed even as the replacement of a single tooth in the mouth. It is not as if a person needs to have the entire lower jaw or upper jaw teeth removed for getting the implants. In case of dentures, as is normally understood, an entire set of false teeth is manufactured in the dental laboratory.
For details contact: Cherokee Smiles Dental. 6572 Highway 92 Suite 120 Acworth, GA 30102. Call: (770) 679-3029.